At Hawthorn High school we believe that all children should be allowed to flourish and find something that they want to do and can do. We have a dedicated Careers lead and have a commitment to delivering and achieving the GATSBY benchmarks. The Gatsby Benchmarks are a framework of 8 guidelines that define the best careers provision in secondary schools.
We aim to provide comprehensive and progressive career and higher education guidance to all pupils. Our careers programme starts in year 7 where aspirations, targets and any barriers to success are discussed during form time. As pupils move throughout year groups this provision continues through curriculum enrichment days, dedicated tutor time, visits, talks and work experience opportunities.
In conjunction with external agencies, such as Careers Wales and RCT Employment Education and Training Team, local universities and further education colleges and with the support of local businesses and employers, we support our pupils in many ways.
We assist them in exploring their career aspirations and help make informed decisions about subject choices, further and higher education, alternative pathways and future employment. This ensures that our students undertake a learning pathway that is tailored for them and offers them an experience which serves to help them to:
- Understand how important sensible career choices are made through having the right information from experts in their field of careers and the world of work;
- Gain valuable work experience;
- Make informed decisions about subject choices;
- Understand how their strengths, interests and personality fit together to enable them to make informed decisions;
- Consider university options and alternatives to higher education such as employment and apprenticeships so that they pursue the correct learning pathway for them.
- https://careerswales.gov.wales/ – This website can help you to plan your career, prepare to get a job, and find and apply for the right apprenticeships, courses and training in Wales.
- startprofile.com – investigate careers, watch videos and get great advice, find out about employers and work experience opportunities in your area.
- careersbox.co.uk – Video based website outlining job profile information and skills explorer tool.
- how2become.com – offers detailed advice on how to access a range of sectors.
- notgoingtouni.co.uk – opportunities that exist outside of university for apprenticeships and work experience.
- ucas.com – information about university courses on offer, also the Stamford test to help with ideas about subjects to study.
- prospects.ac.uk – find out which areas you could access after a particular degree.
- jobapplications.co.uk – this site has useful videos, demonstrating how to complete the online applications for many top companies in the UK, as well as providing detailed information on salaries and interviews. Applications forms can be printed off directly from this site.
- allaboutschoolleavers.co.uk – displays current apprenticeship and school leaver programme opportunities, to the latest school leaver job news, and gives career journey advice.
- allAboutApprenticeships.co.uk – gives live apprenticeship vacancies, organised by sector or area. Also offers plenty of advice on making applications.